– To train professionals able to work at the operational and commercial level concerning gastronomic products considering the existing endogenous resources of the territories.
– To train professionals with adequate skills in order for them to work with autonomy and creativity while promoting the culture, history and gastronomic traditions as to preserve the regional and national identity, and at the same time raising awareness for the sustainable production, ethic consumption and fair trade.
– To provide the development of specialized skills in innovative areas with a great potential for development.
– To develop a strategic thinking regarding the organization and management of gastronomic products emphasizing sustainability, creativity, and tradition.
– To provide a body of skilled professionals that are able to undertake advanced studies and scientific research in the gastronomy field of study.
Access to the course is through the following schemes:
a) CNA (for applicants holding a secondary education course or legally equivalent qualification);
b) Special Regimes (for candidates who fulfill the conditions laid down in DL-A 393/99 of 2 October);
c) Special Contests (for candidates with: M23, higher education graduates and CET);
d) Change and Transfer of Course.
The specific exam required for access to the degree are one of the following: 04 (Economics), OR 09 (Geography) OR 18 (Portuguese).
Gastronomy is revealed nowadays as an area of increasing demand and significant revenue. The insertion of the Mediterranean diet in the list of UNESCO Immaterial Cultural Heritage of Humanity, associated the challenges of sustainable development and to the intrinsic characteristics of Portuguese Gastronomy, increase the valorization of the country tourist offer, demanding sustained approaches in the gastronomy knowledge, arising from the research and production of scientific knowledge, at national and international level. Therefore, it is of particular relevance to train professionals able to respond to changing consumer behavior, giving them strategic thinking in the organization and management of gastronomic products, with an emphasis on sustainability, creativity and tradition. Its also important prepare professionals with scientific and professional skills, seeking the entrepreneurship and capacity to promote new business along with new trends in tourism.
Thus, these professionals can exercise their professional activity at:
– Food production and food processing Industry;
– Hotel industry;
– Organization of gastronomic events companies;
– Companies of diffusion and communication of the gastronomic activity;
– Consulting companies;
– Restoration units;
– Control and quality verification and certification companies;
– Confraternities of gastronomic products;
– To identify and understand the main trends in the gastronomy area that may generate impacts in the activities of the sectors companies.
– To develop technical and operational skills so that the future professionals are able to create and develop gastronomic products considering the existing endogenous resources of the territories adopting innovative and sustainable approaches.
– To provide the students with research skills in order to increase the body of knowledge in gastronomy field of study through the development of advanced studies and scientific research.
– To conceive innovative tourism development proposals towards the gastronomic and cultural segment focused on the diversification of the tourism supply and the enhancement of the visitors experience.
– To conceive adequate and innovative gastronomic proposals towards the existing and potential markets.
Access to Superior Studies
The Diploma in Gastronomy grants qualification to continue studies in a Master Degree.
|Human Capital in the Hotel and Tourism Industries||20011593||3||1|
|Food Microbiology and Safety||20041098||6||1|
|European Gastronomic Culture||20011619||6||1|
|Research Methodology in Gastronomy and Tourism||20011608||6||1|
|Quantitative Methods in Gastronomy and Tourism||20011625||3||2|
|Portugal's Gastronomic Culture||20011636||6||2|
|Food Chemestry and Molecular Gastronomy||20041123||6||2|
|Conservation and Processing of Agricultural Products||20041112||3||2|
|Africa's Gastronomic Culture||20011653||6||1|
|Psysical and Chemical Analysis of Food||20041140||6||1|
|Management of Tourist and Gastronomic Enterprises||20011647||6||1|
|Capture, Production, Processing and Preservation of Seafood||20041134||4||1|
|Eastern and American Cuisine||20041343||4||2|
|American and Asian Gastronomic Culture||20011670||6||2|
|Drinks - Origins and Production||20041177||6||1|
|Event Planning and Protocol||20011715||3||1|
|Coaching, Leadership and Team Building||20011692||3||1|
|Final project / Gastronomic Product Development||20041368||27||2|
|Strategic Planning and Management||20011726||3||2|