Environment, a key factor
The Polytechnic of Coimbra (IPC) believes that environmental sustainability is a key factor in promoting a better quality of life for the population.
As a teaching and research institution, it assumes a fundamental role and an increased responsibility in the construction of an increasingly environmentally sustainable planet.
It is responsible for training individuals who will be future decision-makers, professionals and opinion leaders, and for enabling them, within the scope of their activities, to act in favour of a more ecological development. Its ambition is, therefore, to be a role model of environmental sustainability, thus assuming the implementation and transmission of good practices to the entire academic and surrounding community as a clear priority.
To this end, the Polytechnic of Coimbra has made the following commitments
– To preserve Human Life, the Environment and its Heritage;
– To promote a culture of environmental protection and sustainable development, through the prevention of pollution, the reduction of waste production and the adequate disposal of those that cannot be avoided, the conservation of nature and the sustainable use of resources;
– To promote a circular economy;
– To comply with all the applicable legal requirements, as well as those of the other obligations resulting from the dialogue with stakeholders, with respect to the environment;
– To promote the coordination of the provision of the Occupational and Environmental Health Service with teaching and research;
– To promote the continuous improvement of the environmental performance of the Institution’s activities;
– To involve the whole community of the Polytechnic of Coimbra in the responsibility of continuously improving its environmental performance, as well as in the dissemination of good practices beyond the IPC premises.