The lessons aim to adopt a positive nature consisting of. 1)a combination of systematical demonstrations of the information and knowledge process and with critical analyses based on texts; 2)more in-depth work of some of the subjects in the programme which will be developed by the students: 3) case analysis, brainstroming and group dioscussion.
As a result, it is expected that at the end of this curricular unit students are able to:
1) recognize environments, services and actions of health promotion, autonomy and independence;
2) interview and evaluate the older adults based on the global geriatric assessment;
3) identify the process of health and disease in the older adults, in particular, identify the most relevant pathology, clinical presentation and develop a geriatric intervention plan (with a focus on Social-Ecological Model);
4) develop measures to promote the well-being that provide comfort to the older adults;
5) recognize the role of / caregiver / informal in the development of care for the elderly and seek to establish a partnership;
6) identify the role of the future gerontologist in interdisciplinary gerontological Intervention.
1. Addressing issues of health as continuum and their relationship in the context of aging and quality of life.
2. Health assessement and geriatric interview to older adults and caregivers.
3. The process of health-disease: the main pathologies of the elderly, their clinical presentation and the development of gerontological intervention proposals.
4. Global geriatric assessment – a model approach and systematic evaluation of the elderly.
5. The caregiver in continuity of care – strategies for caring for the caregiver.
6. Measure to promote comfort and well-being of older people.
Curricular Unit Teachers
- - test - 100.0%
- - group work - 50.0%
- - individual paper - 50.0%
Eliopoulos, C. (2011). Enfermagem gerontológica (7.ª Ed.). São Paulo: Artmed.
Freitas, V. E., Py, L., Aluizio, F., Cançado, X., & Gorzoni, M. L. (2006). Tratado de Geriatria e Gerontologia (2.ª Ed.). Rio de Janeiro: Editora Guanabara.
Veríssimo, T. (Coord.). (2014). Geriatria fundamental – saber e prática. Lisboa: Lidel.
Mauk, K. L. (Ed.) (2006). Gerontological Nursing: Competencies for Care. Massachusetts: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
Direcção-Geral da Saúde. (2004). Programa Nacional para a Saúde das Pessoas Idosas. Lisboa: Direcção Geral da Saúde.
Roe. B.,& Beec, R., (Eds) (2005). Intermediate and Continuing Care. Great Britain: Blackwell.
Ribeiro O., & Pául, C. (2011). Manual de Envelhecimento Activo. Lisboa: Lidel.
Paul, C., & Ribeiro, O. (2012). Manual de Gerontologia. Lisboa: Lidel.
Nunes, B. (2008). Envelhecer com Saúde. Lisboa: Lidel.