The methods have a theoretical and practical carather. The focus is, however, the research and discussion
of the various syllabuses by the students with guidance and supplement the teacher.
The evaluation will be based on a component, which includes class participation and taking writen test,
with a weight up to 62,5% and a working component, preferably in groups with a weighting of 37,5%.
The written test is eliminatory, students must obtain a minimum grade of 7,5.
The nature, characteristics and ponderation of each of the works will be subjected to an analysis during the first class and the information will be recorded on the summary and on the web platforms.
Evaluation by final exam consists of making a individual written test.
Students whose grade is equal to or greater than 9,5 will obtain approval.
Students whose grade rates between 7,5 and 9,4 values the exam will hold an oral test, and the final score
shall be the average of the grades obtained.
1. To understand the implications of an aging population and increased life expectancy
2. To master the concepts of social policy, poverty, social exclusion, inequality, discrimination, inclusion,
integration and inclusion
3. To master and mobilize knowledge on policies and measures to support the aging population in Portugal
and in the European Union, in particular, systems of social welfare and health and legal framework of
different promotional programs, public, private and social
4. To know the basic conceptual framework for the study of social protection systems as a concrete
materialization of the social state
5. To understand the evolution of social policy in its various forms and organizational models
6. To interpret critically the theoretical and empirical contributions in the field of social policies
1 – CONCEPTUAL DELIMITATIONS
1.1 – Public policies; social policies
1.2 – Privation, poverty and social exclusion; inclusion, insertion
1.3 – Inequalities and discrimination
2 – THE WELFARE STATE
2.1 – General characteristics and evolution
2.2 – The welfare state in Portugal
2.3 – The crisis of the Welfare State in Portugal in the European context
3 – POLICIES AND SOCIAL PROTECTION SYSTEMS IN OLD AGE AND INTERVENTION STRATEGIES
3.1 – Policy instruments in the European Union
3.2 – Policy instruments in Portugal
3.3 – State, public action and civil society
3.4 – Solidarity networks formal and informal
3.5 – The role of local government
Curricular Unit Teachers
- - Practical, individual and / or group work - 47.5%
- - Theoretical test - 52.5%
- - exam - 100.0%
MTSS-GEP (2013). Carta Social – Rede de Serviços e Equipamentos. Lisboa: MSESS.
Caeiro, J. (2008). Políticas Públicas, Política Social e Estado de Providência. Lisboa: Univ. Lusíada Editora
Mozzicafredo, J. (1994). O Estado-Providência em Transição. Sociologia – Problemas e Práticas, 16, 11-40.
Salselas, T. (2006). Política Social da Velhice. Lisboa: Univ. Aberta.
Ferrara, M. (2000). O Futuro da Europa Social. Oeiras:.Celta.
Carvalho, M. (2013). Serviço Social no Envelhecimento. Lisboa: Pactor.
MTSS-GEP (2009). Carta Social – Rede de Serviços e Equipamentos. Lisboa: MTSS.
Campos, A. (2000). Solidariedade Sustentada: Reformar a Segurança Social. Lisboa: Gradiva.
Silva, F. (2013). O Futuro do Estado Social. Lisboa: FFMS.