This unit is organized into theoretical and practical classes in order to facilitate the analysis of concepts and their practical integration in various contexts.
Will be promoted moments of analysis, discussion of relevant topics in order to development student’s critical ability.
Will be provided contact with institutions for seniors, conducted through study visits or small stages.
The synthesis of knowledge and experience experienced by students should be assembled on a reflective portfolio to build throughout the learning process.
1. Work done in the classroom: article reviews, practical work … (50%)
2. Final draft (50% – 30% for the written work + 20% to the presentation)
Evaluation by exam (100%) will be made through written and oral test (only if the classification 8 or 9 points).
1. Promote the delivery to music therapy musical expression activities.
2. Use musical techniques in the context of the geriatric.
3. Integrate the music therapy and musical expression in the context of intervention of the elderly person.
4. Integrate in space and time resources and methodologies of music therapy.
5. Use non-verbal communication as a contribution to the development of relational skills in the elderly person.
6. Choose sound environments enablers integral well-being of elderly person
1. Music therapy
1.2. Historical background
1.3. Principles and fundamentals
1.4. Applications in gerontology
2. Musical expression
2.1. Elementary principles of Musical expression
2.2. Elements of music history, and Ethnomusicology
2.2.2.The traditional music
2.2. The Vocal and Instrumental Practice in gerontology
3. Musical Activity in Gerontology
3.1. Musical and psicomusicals techniques used in geriatric context
3.2. The music as a means for developing non-musical goals
3.3. The music and the spaces
3.4. Planning, implementation and evaluation of musical activities in Gerontology
Curricular Unit Teachers
- - written test - 100.0%
- - class work - 50.0%
- - Final project (50% - 30% written + 20% presentation) - 50.0%
Colwell, C. (2005). An Orff approach to music therapy. The Eco Voices, Vol. 38,
Gomes, L. ; Amaral, J.B. (2012). “Os efeitos da utilização da música para os idosos: revisão sistemática”. Revista Enfermagem Contemporânea. 1(1): 103-117
Souza, M. (2002) “Musicoterapia e a clínica do envelhecimento”. Tratado de Geriatria e Gerontologia. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Guanabara Koogan
Benenzon, R. (1985). Manual de musicoterapia. Buenos Aires: Ed. Enelivros.
Betés de Toro, M. (2000). Fundamentos de Musicoterapia. Madrid: Morata
Berrocal, J. (2013). Música y neurociencia: la musicoterapia: Sus fundamentos, efectos y aplicaciones terpéuticas. Barcelona: Ed.UOC. ISBN:
Pereyra, G. (2013). Musicoterapia: iniciación, técnicas y exercicios. Barcelona: Ed Robinbook. ISBN: 978-84-15256-50-2
Zanini, C. R. O. (2003). “Envelhecimento saudável – o cantar e a gerontologia social”. Goiás. Revista da UFG