Frequently Asked Questions


The information provided below does not exempt you from reading the International Student Statute [Decree-Law no. 36/2014, of March 10, amended by Decree-Law no. 62/2018, of August 6], or the regulations in force at the Polytechnic of Coimbra.



What requirements do I need to meet to be considered an International Student?

– Not to be a national of Portugal or a Member State of the European Union;

– Not to be a family member of nationals of a Member State of the European Union, irrespective of nationality, being considered a family member for this purpose:

  1. Spouse of an EU citizen;
  2. Partner with whom the EU citizen lives in a non-marital partnership, formed in accordance with the law or with whom the citizen has a permanent relationship, duly certified by the competent authority of the Member State where he/she resides;
  3. Direct descendants who are under 21 years of age or are dependants of a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, as well as the spouse or partner as defined in the previous paragraph;

– Not to be a beneficiary on January 1st of the year in which they intend to enter higher education of the equal status and duties of the international treaty signed between the Portuguese State and the State in which they are nationals;

– Not to have resided in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, on January 1st of the year in which he intends to enter.


If I have dual nationality (one of which is Portuguese), can I apply for the Special Tender for Access and Admission for International Students?

No. In this case, the nationality that prevails is Portuguese, and you will have to enter the Polytechnic of Coimbra through one of the available means for national students.


If I have more than one nationality, where one of them corresponds to the nationality of a European Union country – except Portugal, can I apply for the Special Tender for Access and Admission for International Students?

You can only apply for this tender if you can prove that your usual residence is neither in Portugal nor in another country of the European Union.


Does the Polytechnic of Coimbra recognise secondary education as equivalent to Portuguese secondary education?

Yes, it does.


Does the Polytechnic of Coimbra recognise ENEM to apply to its degree courses? What is the validity period of ENEM?

Yes, it does, provided it was carried out within the 4 calendar years prior to the application.


What is the minimum score of ENEM?

In order to use ENEM to apply to the Polytechnic of Coimbra, you must have an average ENEM score above 500 and present the minimum score in the specific component(s) of ENEM required for the course you wish to attend.


If it is not possible to prove the specific academic qualification through ENEM, what other ways can I do it?

– Submit a document issued by the official education services of your country containing a breakdown of the syllabus (menus) of the subjects corresponding to the entrance examinations required for the degree you wish to apply for and in which you passed your secondary education. This document will be analysed by the selection board to determine whether or not there is equivalence of contents taught in your secondary school and our secondary school. If there is equivalence, you will not need to take any other test;


– Take the exams of the Polytechnic of Coimbra for International Students, under the terms defined by the announcement of the opening of the competition.


Where do the entrance exams referred to in the previous point take place?

The exams are held in Portugal, in the Polytechnic School of Coimbra to which you are applying.


I want to enter a course that requires the completion of pre-requisites. Do I have to take them in Portugal?

Yes, the pre-requisite tests are all held in Portugal, in the Polytechnic School of Coimbra to which you are applying.


When can I apply for the special tender for access and admission for international students?

The application period opens at the beginning of each calendar year and is announced on our website and on the social networks of the Polytechnic of Coimbra.


Do I have to go to Coimbra to make my application?

No. The application is made online on the platform available at the link and can only be submitted within the deadlines set for the Tender in force at the time.


Do the originals of my application have to be sent by post to make the application?

No. All the necessary documentation is only sent in digital format by uploading it on the online application platform.


How do I know if I have been approved?

The ranking lists can be accessed in your reserved area on the Inforestudante platform, and all those placed in the final ranking lists are also formally notified by email.


When does the school year start in Portugal?

The school year in Portugal usually starts in September and ends in July.


What is the cost of attending a degree course at the Polytechnic of Coimbra?

The tuition fee for international students at Politécnico de Coimbra may vary between 1.500€ and 3.000€/year, depending on the degree course to be attended. You can consult the amount applied to each course in 2024/25 here.


Can I pay the tuition fee in instalments?

Yes, it is possible to pay in phases starting from the 2nd academic year. In the year of entry, the annual fee is paid in full immediately after placement in the desired course.


What social support can I have?

International students benefit, at the student price, from canteen catering services and the use of the institution’s technical, sports and cultural facilities. They may also have access to the student residences at the prices fixed for non-grant-holder students, upon application.


I have already done one year of university in my country, can I take advantage of the subjects already completed?

After you have enrolled, you can request an analysis of the subjects taught and check whether or not they are compatible for crediting purposes. In this case you will have to prove the syllabus of your course, as well as the content of the subjects of each curricular unit you intend to apply for credit.


If I am studying in Portugal, can I also work there?

Yes, you can work. A student visa is not a work visa, but after you are residing in Portugal with a student visa you can apply for a work visa at the SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras).


What do I need to do to request a visa and the authorization to stay as a student in Portugal?

You should apply for a residence permit to attend a higher education study programme in Portugal at the Portuguese Consulate/ Embassy closest to your area of residence. Then, in Portugal, you can apply for a Residence Permit at the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF).


What should I do when I arrive in Portugal?

– Go to the institution where you have been placed to finalise your academic process and get to know the procedures related to the running of the course;

– Apply for a Tax Identification Number (NIF) from the Tax Authority;

– Register with the National Health Service in your area of residence;

– Open a bank account in Portugal;

– Always carry and keep valid the following documents:

  1. Proof of residence;
  2. Proof of registration;
  3. Proof of income during your stay as an International Student.