Who can apply?
You must be covered by International Student Status:
– Not to have a Portuguese citizenship or that of a Member State of the European Union;
– Not to be a family member of Portuguese citizens or of a Member State of the European Union, being considered a family member for this purpose:
- i) Spouse of an EU citizen;
- ii) Partner with whom the EU citizen lives in a non-marital partnership, formed in accordance with the law, or with whom the citizen has a permanent relationship, duly certified by the competent authority of the Member State where he/she resides;
iii) Direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants of a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, as well as the spouse or partner as defined in the previous point;
– Not to be a beneficiary, on January 1st of the year in which he/she intends to enter higher education, of the equal status and duties of the international treaty signed between the Portuguese State and the State of which he/she is a citizen;
– Not to have resided in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, on January 1st of the year in which he intends to enter.
General access conditions:
International students who are:
- a) Holders of a qualification giving access to higher education, understood as any diploma or certificate issued by a competent authority attesting the successful completion of an education programme and conferring the right to apply and to be admitted to higher education in the country in which it was awarded;
- b) Holders of a Portuguese secondary education diploma or legally equivalent qualification.
Conditions of admission:
- a) The verification of the specific academic qualification required to enter the specific study cycle to which they are applying (the international candidates must prove, through documentary evidence or an exam, that they have the knowledge related to the subjects of the entrance examinations set for the degree they are applying for);
- b) The verification of knowledge of the language in which the study cycle is taught;
- c) The verification of the satisfaction of the prerequisites that have been established for the study cycle in question within the general regime for access and admission.
See how you can prove your academic qualifications on the Home Country tab.