The President of the Polytechnic of Coimbra is the institution’s highest governing body and its external representation. He is also the body that conducts the institution’s policy and chaires the Management Board and the Senate. The President is elected by the General Council under the terms of the Statute.
The President directs and represents the Polytechnic of Coimbra, and is responsible for:
- Preparing and submitting to the General Council the proposals for: Medium-term strategic plan and action plan for the four-year term of its mandate; General guidelines for the institution at scientific and pedagogical level; Annual activity plan and report; Consolidated annual budget and accounts, accompanied by the opinion of the sole supervisor; Acquisition or disposal of the institution’s real estate assets and credit operations, these proposals being compulsorily subject to the prior opinion of the organic units regarding the assets allocated to them; Creation, transformation or extinction of organic units, after hearing the Advisory Board; Fees due by students.
- Approving the creation, suspension and extinction of courses as proposed by the organic units, under the terms of the law;
- Approving the maximum values for new admissions and enrolments, on the proposal of the Management Board;
- Supervising academic management, deciding, namely, on the opening of competitions, on the appointment and contracting of staff, for any purpose, on the appointment of juries for competitive examinations and academic tests and on the system and regulations for the evaluation of teachers and students, upon proposal by the school;
- Guiding and supervising the administrative and financial management of the institution, ensuring efficiency in the use of its means and resources;
- Providing support to students within the framework of school social action, under the terms of the law;
- Approving the granting of honorary titles or distinctions upon the favourable opinion of the General Council or, in the case of scientific distinctions, of the Scientific-Technical Councils of the schools with main teaching activity in that scientific area;
- Instituting school prizes after a favourable opinion from the General Council;
- Ratifying the elections and appointments of the members of the management bodies of the organic units with self-government bodies, only rejecting them on the grounds of illegality, and to put them into office;
- Appointing and dismissing, in accordance with the law and the statutes, the heads of the organic units without their own governing bodies;
- Appointing and dismissing, in accordance with the law and the statutes, the administrator and the managers of the institution’s services;
- Exercising disciplinary power, in accordance with the law, in relation to the staff and students of the organic units without management autonomy and to the staff of the presidency’s services;
- Ensuring compliance with the decisions taken by the institution’s collegial bodies;
- Ratifying the statutes of the organic units and approving the regulations provided for in the law and in the statutes, without prejudice to the regulatory power of the organic units within the scope of their own competences;
- Ensuring observance of the laws, statutes and regulations;
- Proposing the initiatives he considers necessary for the smooth running of the institution;
- Performing other functions as provided by law and the statutes;
- Communicating to the supervising Minister all the data necessary for the exercise of his functions, namely the plans and budgets and the activity and account reports;
- Taking the necessary measures to guarantee the quality of teaching and research in the institution and its organic units;
- Representing the institution in and out of court.
- The President is also responsible for all competencies that, by law or by the statutes, are not attributed to other organs of the institution.
- The President may, under the terms of the law and the statutes, delegate to the Vice-Presidents and to the management bodies of the institution or of its organic units other competences that may prove necessary for a more efficient management.
Professor Jorge Conde
Daniel Roque Gomes
Administrator of Polytechnic
Lúcia Simões Costa
Maria João Cardoso
Administrator of Social Action Services
INOPOL | Entrepreneurship Acadmey Director
Institute of Applied Research Director | I2A
Institute of Applied Research Deputy Director | I2A
Ana Cristina Veloso