The urgency of fostering good practices
We are in a climate emergency situation. It is urgent to promote good practices for a more sustainable development and, naturally, for a consequent improvement in the population’s quality of life.
Therefore, the Polytechnic of Coimbra created the “+Sustentável” project, which aims to encourage behavioural change by reducing consumption and waste, as well as promoting a circular economy, electric mobility and training for the school community. It is developed by the Institution’s Occupational and Environmental Health Service (sSOA) and covers all buildings of the Polytechnic of Coimbra, from the Central Services to the various Teaching Organic Units (UOE), Social Action Services and Research Organic Unit, covering all inherent activities and workers.
The implementation of this project is intended to:
– Promote good environmental sustainability practices;
– To have a sustainability tool that complements management;
– Promote the rational and efficient use of natural resources;
– Improve the environmental performance of the Institution;
– Prevent/mitigate the effects of adverse environmental impacts on IPC;
– To involve the whole Polytechnic of Coimbra community in the responsibility of continuously improving its environmental performance, as well as in the dissemination of good practices beyond the IPC space, providing adequate information and training for this purpose;
– To promote the participation of young people in decision-making, through the implementation of the Eco-Schools Programme in all the Institution’s UOE;
– To promote an environmental culture that favours the prevention of events with a negative impact on the planet and human life and that promotes the protection and preservation of the environment and people’s quality of life.